Re: InstantDB: Stored Procedures

Stored procedures are of much less value in a database like InstantDB
than with ones like Oracle. One of the main values of a stored procedure
in Oracle is that you can make one call to the database, say over a
socket connection, and execute several SQL commands. So, you don't have
a lot of data going back and forth across a socket connection. But since
instantdb is an embedded database, everything happens in the same
process as the database anyway. You might just as well make two
independent calls as one to a "stored procedure." If you want to reuse
it, just encapsulate it in a class. Because the database is in-process,
your entire system is like one big collection of stored procedures. At
least, the tier that's accessing the database is.

What advantage do you see in stored procedures for InstantDB, besides
the fact that it's the way you did it in Oracle?

Scott