InstantDB Project
About InstantDB
Project Mail Lists
Short History
Reporting Bugs
Screen Shots
3rd Party Examples

CVS Repositories

Who We Are
News, Articles & Events
Getting Involved
Contact Us

Case Studies
On The Edge! -NEW-
Commercial Vendors

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

InstantDB: InstantDB optimizations


I looked in the mail archives for information regarding my question, but
could find none, so here goes:

We have an application that runs on a users desktop.  The application
has 'plugins' which are pieces of code that we can write that seamlessly
plugin to the main app.  One of these plugins uses InstantDB.  Our
problem lies in when a particular plugin starts, it runs queries on a
single InstantDB database.  This database has 10 tables, and all the
tables combines are .97 megabyte.  None of the tables has more than 7
columns, and an average of about I'd say 50 rows.  Most data is of type
char(10) (My SQL syntax may be off, but they're mostly small strings).
We are noticing a 'jump' in memory usage when the plugin is initialized
(actually our client has mentioned this memory spike).  Using
OptimizeIt! I have noticed the largest consumer of memory to be the
byte[] and char[].  The spike is between 4 and 5 megs (we are trying to
keep this down to less than 2 megs).  I have changed some of the
optimization settins in the .prp file (namely the resultsOnDisk to = 1),
but do not seem to notice much difference.  If someone out there has
come across this problem, or can enlighten me, it would be greatly

-Thanks, Jason

To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send email to
with the text "unsubscribe instantdb" in the body of the email.
If you have other questions regarding this mailing list, send email to
the list admin at