Re: InstantDB: Max BYTES in column in InstantDB3.26 beta

Hi D. Williams,

> My first query is : DOES THE INSTANTDB support the SQL Array type

I can find no reference to an Array structured type in InstantDB.  The
SQL syntax of InstantDB is at
http://instantdb.enhydra.org/software/documentation/idb3_26/syntax.html.
This reference is pretty much guaranteed to be complete, since it's
generated from the syntax definition in the source code.

As far as I know, the Array is not a standard SQL data-type, even though
a few RDBMS vendors implement Arrays as proprietary features.

Can you use BINARY (aka TEXT or LONGCHAR) to store a document?  If you
need multiple documents associated with each row, you should consider
normalizing your schema:

CREATE TABLE COLLECTION (
  COLL_ID  INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
);
CREATE TABLE DOCUMENT (
  DOC_ID   INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
  COLL_ID  INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES COLLECTION,
  DOCUMENT TEXT CACHE 0 ROWS
);

> if not can I simply use setObject(:::)?

If your object implements the java.io.Serializable interface, you can
store it using setObject().  The object is saved to a separate "blob"
file.

> My second query is whether a 30Mbyte array can be stored in a INSTANTDB
> column

I've read Peter Hearty say several times on this list that there are no
purposeful limits on the size of data in InstantDB.  This makes sense,
if a blob is stored in a separate file.  Available disk space is more
likely to be a constraint.

--
Bill Karwin (bill@lutris.com)
Application Architect - Lutris Technologies Inc.