InstantDB: Running instantdb outside of Enhydra: sequences question

Hi,

Looking at some of the past posts to the list I've found the issue of
oid sequences addressed a couple of times, but the final responses
sounded like Enhydra-specific answers.  If I'm running outside of
enhydra and want to assure that an id sequence is incremented for
each add, _without_ using AUTO INCREMENT, is this something that I
have to do manually?  That is, if I need to have primary keys if the
form of 'p.1' or 'q.15' for project and question ids (for example),
must I build the sequence support into the application such that I
create and increment 'project_seq.nextval' table myself?
Thanks for any help in this.

-Joel Stevenson