InstantDB: Re: versus hypersonic

This is a reply that Peter Hearty made in response to a similar
question...
"The main difference between the two is in the way data is made
persistent. InstantDB uses  fixed length records to save each row
of a table to its own file on disk. Transaction  recovery takes place
via a disk based journal file. I think Hypersonic is primarily memory
based and uses sql scripts and compressed memory images for backup
(but it would be  better to get Hypersonic's author to give a fuller
description of this). Both have some  features that the other doesn't
have. InstantDB has more transaction and table locking  support,
simultaneous thread access, hooks for plug in triggers, encryption
and user defined  functions. Hypersonic has multiple usernames and
priviliges and foreign key support which are missing in InstantDB.
Both provide the usual wide choice of data types and both occupy
only a couple of hundred kbytes of space."

--
David H. Young, Chief Evangelist
Lutris Technologies, Inc.