From: "Thom Nelson" <thom@lutris.com>
To: <instantDB@enhydra.org>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: InstantDB: Can't see the changes
being done on another connection

| I'm not sure if you guys are dealing with the
same issue.  Steve, I'm
| sorry I didn't get to your question earlier, but
I never got the email
| for some reason.  In your case, it looks like
you have different VMs
| hitting the database, so it is expected that you
won't be able to see
| the data updated from the other VM until you
restart the servlet VM.
| Here is where you could benefit using the
RmiJdbc driver.  Not only is
| this annoying, but you could end up with a
corrupted database.

| Alexei, I'm not sure what's happening in your
case, but my first
| question is, are you opening the database from
one JVM only?  It looks
| like this is the case.  If so, the problem may
be that the data from the
| one connection is not getting committed.  Is
your connection pool
| setting autocommit=true when you checkout a
connection?  Are you setting
| autocommit=false in other places?  If you're not
already, try explictly
| committing the data after you insert it.
|
| Thom
|
| Steve Carton wrote:
| >
| > Alexei,
| >
| > I hope you get an answer -- This is
essentially my
| > problem as well.  I ended up working around it
by

<alexei@sqwest.bc.ca>
being
| > done on another connection
| >
| > | Hello everybody,
| > |
| > |   I guess my question has a lot in common
with
| > Steve Carton's one (March 28,
| > | 2001 12:47 InstantDB: Flushing a cache), but
| > unfortunately that one was
| > | never answered.
| > |
| > |   I use InstantDB 3.26 and I have the
following
| > problem: my application does
| > | the connection pooling, and I found out that
| > changes done by, for example,
| > | insert query, using one connection, are not
seen
| > using the other existing
| > | connections, so the select query will not
return
| > the inserted row, even if
| > | the connection which does this changes is
| > closed. At the same time, new rows
| > | are perfectly visible if I create new
connection
| > and execute the same select
| > | query. I have to say that I really hate the
idea
| > to create new connections
| > | all the time the change is made, but I'm
running
| > out of my own ideas. Could
| > | you possibly give me the clue why it works
this
| > way and how this situation
| > | can be avoided or fixed? Are there any
| > connection or database properties to
| > | play with?
| > |
| > | The quick answer will be truly appreciated.
| > Thank you!
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | Alexei