InstantDB: storage of indexes in InstantDB

I understand that during index creation, the indexes are probably (?) stored in memory, then written out to disk.

However, during normal database operation, are the indexes read from file, and analyzed with each query?  I know that this requires a great deal of I/O, but on the other hand, I could see a situation where having too many indexes in memory at a time could result in some huge memory losses very quickly.

Rob