Re: InstantDB: Some Issues about InstantDB

Otavio

I think Keith's answered the "will IDB be around next week" question. The
only thing I'd add is that the fact that IBM are shipping it at all should
tell you something about that question.

On the corruption issue. IDB can recover from *most* uncontrolled shutdowns.
However in a small percentage of cases it does become unrecoverable. If
you're seeing regular failed recoveries then I'd be very interested in
hearing more about that.

IDB is not recommended for use in mission critical systems. It's largely
used for demos or caching data that's been retrieved from elsewhere. If your
IDB data is your only copy then a rigorous regime that tries to do a
controlled shutdown wherever possible is vital. The database should be
configured for robustness, rather than speed, and regular offline backups
are an absolute must.

Regards

Pete

--