Re: InstantDB: InstantDB 3.5 now avaiulable.

Hi Lionel

> I know abt the RMIJDBC thingy but that is more like a 'hack'.
> Kinda Alpha.

Well I wouldn't really call it a "hack". The author, Pierre-Yves
Gibello, has put a *lot* of work into it and has chosen to give it away
for nothing. And it's not just IDB that uses it either - for a while
Cloudscape used to ship it as well (I don't know if they still do or
not though).

> Also, i suspect there will be performance issues.

Could be. I *think* I've heard rumours that RMI can be slower than
CORBA (anyone out there know for sure?), but I wouldn't have thought it
would dominate over the normal overheads of networking.

If RmiJdbc needs improving, say to improve the granularity of row
fetches, well it *is* open source...

> Understand your target market. Is it a PERONSAL DB or a
> EMBEDDED DB? If it
> is, then u're spot on. But if your view that it is a server side
> contender,then too bad, InstantDB ain't going to cut it.

When I used to make my living from selling IDB the target market was
very definitely embedded and out of the box demo applications. That's
very much what IBM WebSphere, JRun and many others used it for.

But really, how you "market" a product makes no difference to the
product itself. A database server is just an embedded database with a
networking front end. Internally, IDB doesn't care whether connections
come over the network or from the same JVM. It'll apply the same
locking and synchronization methods regardless.

IDB+RmiJdbc is conceptually no different from any other database with a
networked driver. It's just that Pierre-Yves has managed to come up
with a very simple way to network almost any embedded database.

Why not just try RmiJdbc out? You never know - you might be pleasantly
surpised!

Regards

Pete

--