InstantDB: Handling Date types

Peter,

I'm interfacing with IDB via a DODS-generated layer.  When I create a java.sql.Date object and store it in a DATE type field, when I retrieve it I can only extract the date itself - the time appears to be hardcoded to 12:00 pm.  I thought I had lost my marbles (which may be the case anyway), but then I looked through the IDB docs and noticed that you can change the DATE format with a 'SET DATE FORMAT formatstring' command.  Does this mean that if I want to save and retrieve a Date object so I can view it down to the millisecond, that I have to make my application first initialize the IDB database to set the date format?  If so, does that mean that in my current data, the time is already lost irretrievably - that I have to re-enter it after doing that initialization?  Sorry to sound confused - but I am.

Regards,

Terry