Re: InstantDB: Setting up Instantdb for network

Hi,

> I have two JVM's trying to access instantdb.
> According to the instructions I am trying to set up
> the RmiJdbc server. I have downloaded the jar and
> installed it.
>
> Now what Permission I need to setup in the java.policy
> file to overcome the security problem? When I try to run the
> RmiJdbc server I get the warning :
>
> WARNING: java.rmi.server.hostname property can't be read (access denied)
> If you use java.rmi.server.hostname, set the corresponding property to
> "read" in
>  your java.policy file
> RmiJdbcServer bound in rmi registry
> Internal error - problem locking Database class
> java.security.AccessControlExcep
> tion: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission noBanner read)

I have asked the driver developer what this message meant and got the
following
answer:
->
-> > Concerning java.rmi.server.hostname, as far as you don't set it by
-> > yourself, it is null - maybe I should remove that trace message.
->
-> Any reason why one should set this information? Is it used by the driver?
->
-
-It is sometimes necessary - particularly with applets.
-But you generally don't need it.
-

> What is the entry I need in the java.policy file ?
I have attached an example file for you.

> I am running jdk1.2.2
Should work for JDK 1.3 too.

HTH.
Hugo.