InstantDB: Strange error when adding a column to a table

When trying to add a column to a table I have got the following errors,
which seem to leave the table unusable. This has happened several times,
both on my development machines and on my production server.

This is the log which prints out when I do the table alteration.

AWT-EventQueue-0 ALTER TABLE SURVEYS ADD SURVEY_STATUS int
AWT-EventQueue-0 DELETE FROM qlt$db$cols WHERE TableId = 1231
AWT-EventQueue-0 DELETE FROM qlt$db$tables WHERE TableId = 1231
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3946 WHERE ColID =
3792
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3947 WHERE ColID =
3793
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3948 WHERE ColID =
3794
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3949 WHERE ColID =
3795
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3950 WHERE ColID =
3796
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3951 WHERE ColID =
3797
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3952 WHERE ColID =
3798
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3953 WHERE ColID =
3799
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3954 WHERE ColID =
3800
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3955 WHERE ColID =
3801
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3956 WHERE ColID =
3802
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3957 WHERE ColID =
3803
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3958 WHERE ColID =
3804
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3959 WHERE ColID =
3805
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3960 WHERE ColID =
3806
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3961 WHERE ColID =
3807
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3962 WHERE ColID =
3808
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3963 WHERE ColID =
3809
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3964 WHERE ColID =
3810
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3965 WHERE ColID =
3811
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3966 WHERE ColID =
3812
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3967 WHERE ColID =
3813
AWT-EventQueue-0 UPDATE qlt$db$indexes SET ColID = 3968 WHERE ColID =
3814
AWT-EventQueue-0 java.sql.SQLException: Error deleting file:
Q:\home\davidb\servlets\database\tables\SURVEYS.tbl
AWT-EventQueue-0 java.sql.SQLException: Error deleting file:
Q:\home\davidb\servlets\database\tables\SURVEYS.tbl
java.sql.SQLException: Error deleting file:
Q:\home\davidb\servlets\database\tables\SURVEYS.tbl
AWT-EventQueue-0 CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE $$GetTables11 (TABLE_CAT
CHAR(1),TABLE_SCHEM CHAR(1),TABLE_N
AME CHAR(64),COLUMN_NAME CHAR(64),DATA_TYPE BYTE,TYPE_NAME
CHAR(20),COLUMN_SIZE INT,BUFFER_LENGTH CH
AR(1),DECIMAL_DIGITS INT,NUM_PREC_RADIX INT,NULLABLE INT,REMARKS
CHAR(1),COLUMN_DEF CHAR(64),SQL_DAT
A_TYPE INT,SQL_DATETIME_SUB INT,CHAR_OCTET_LENGTH INT,ORDINAL_POSITION
INT,IS_NULLABLE CHAR(3))

When I subsequently try to access that table I get the following error
every time.

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[DBService] ERROR connectToDatabase SQLException: java.sql.SQLException:
Internal error header recLength=10001
Computed record length should be 6315
Table: SURVEYS

The only solution I have found so far is to drop the table and re-create
it, losing any data content in then process.
Does anyone have any ideas what is happening, and how to prevent it, and
or to recover from it.

regards
David