From: Randy Schnedler [mailto:schnedlr@satx.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 11:10 PM
To: enhydra@enhydra.org
Subject: instantDB connection problem

Hi all,

First off, I'll warn you that I am still somewhat an Enhydra newbie, but am
enjoying the learning process.  I am grateful for Enhydra itself and all the
work of the Enhydra community.

I am working on a database-driven ASP-based site to deliver to a client, and
thought it would be a good learning experience to develop an Enhydra
version.  I have installed instantDB (v3.13 and v3.14b5), and set up the db
schema with DODS successfully.  However, when I "./start" the application, I
get a NullPointerException.  Below are excerpts from my .conf and the
Enhydra log.  Nothing at all is logged or changed within the database
folder/files.  The database name is "ranches".

My questions:
-------------
- Obviously, what am I doing wrong to get the NullPointerException?
  (Does it have to do with the username/password?  I don't know how to set
this up in instantDB.  Accessing the db with "java JDBCmain" seems to work
fine though.)

- Are all the ".Connection." entries necessary in the .conf? (Besides the
URL, of course.)

Thanks for the help!
-Randy

FROM .CONF:
-----------
DatabaseManager.Databases[] = "ranches"
DatabaseManager.DefaultDatabase = "ranches"
DatabaseManager.Debug = "true"
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.ClassType = "Standard"
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.JdbcDriver = "jdbc.idbDriver"
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.Url="jdbc:idb:/usr/local/instantDB/dbs
/ranches.prp"
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.User = ""
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.Password = ""
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.Logging = "true"
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.MaxPreparedStatements = 10
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.MaxPoolSize = 30
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.AllocationTimeout = 10000
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.ObjectID.CacheSize = 20
DatabaseManager.DB.ranches.Connection.ObjectID.MinValue = 1

FROM ENHYDRA .LOG:
------------------
2000.04.24 21:45:00: Multiserver,ERROR: Unable to change application to
running state: Could not create logical database ranches:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Could not create logical database ranches:
java.lang.NullPointerException
2000.04.24 21:45:00: Multiserver,ERROR+
com.lutris.appserver.server.ApplicationException: Could not create logical
database ranches: java.lang.NullPointerException: Could not create logical
database ranches: java.lang.NullPointerException
2000.04.24 21:45:00: Multiserver,ERROR+         at
com.lutris.appserver.server.StandardApplication.createDatabaseManager(Standa
rdApplication.java:259)

[...]